Sunday, July 13, 2014

Round and round

There is nothing like memorising a crochet pattern when you've embarked on a huge project, you're hitting the deadline limit and you're thinking - why didn't I just do granny squares?!  (naturally, everyone knows how to do granny squares as a matter of course....)

There is also nothing - a late breaking discovery, this - like working with variegated yarn, and just sailing along, watching the colour changes, rejoicing at the lack of ends.

That's how it is for me right now.  While I also have a much deserted granny square project 'on the go', while I love - truly rejoice in - picking my own colours, and while I even enjoy the process of trimming ends to signal the completion of a project, this 'Sunny Spread' variation of mine needs to be done NOW.

It is for a huge competition - possibly the biggest I've ever entered - and I've gone for the combination of colour, intricacy and availability.  As anyone who pops into Ravelry will know, the Sunny Spread in all its variations is a spectacular item, but a steady challenge rather than overwhelming for anyone with a bit of crochet experience.  I have a substantial stash of Sirdar Crofter DK ready and waiting, coupled with some lovely Bendigo Woollen Mills Luxury 8 ply (when my budget allows, I'm restocking on this one) to frame each circle.

Am I nervous about getting it done in time and looking good?  Of course.  Such is the nature of these competitions that everyone's work will definitely look better than mine, and I'll have mini nightmares about a huge hole developing in a central seam.  But such are the risks we take in the cause of getting our work out there.  So, I'll keep going round and round and round...and....next year I think I'll do a granny square blanket!

No comments:

Post a Comment