Monday, February 3, 2014

And finished!

Start...and finished!

There is no feeling of satisfaction greater than that of completing a project, and with a new baby landing in the family in just over two months' time, it has been urgent (to my way of thinking) to get as much as possible made before her arrival.

I made a little jacket, out of Rowan Pure Wool DK - which, I'll note, was lovely to work with in hot weather.  The pattern was a Cleckheaton number, and with all the seaming involved, reminded me why I love top down, no seam projects.  I don't mind sewing, but this was quite a test of patience and fortitude, and despite blocking, there are still slightly lumpy seams on the sleeves.  Then there was the incident of the third button down.



The third button down took half an hour and lots of blood (literally - I stabbed myself twice with the needle) to attach.  At one stage my younger brother was deployed to hold the jacket in place while I tried to get the button settled.  He gave up and I took a deep breath.  Finally, it worked, and the little jacket was finished.


I love these timber buttons with floral patterns, and have quite a selection now.  While actually attaching them is problematic, the result is worth the effort, and choosing which pattern to use is a fun exercise in itself.

Now it's back to the ripple blanket (part of which can be seen in the header) I'm also creating for my new niece.  I'm slowing down a bit on this one because of the need for new supplies, accompanied by extreme heat.  Working with a pearl acrylic is a bit slippery in such conditions.  It's quite intriguing to read of snow and rain....I find myself thinking wistfully of the need for a partial weather exchange.  We in Australia are dealing with the usual summer challenges - fires, cyclones up north - and simply facing the soaring temperatures each day as 40 beckons regularly is quite a test.  Just a few days of cool breezes would be most welcome.

However, I must admit that summer sunrises are a real highlight.  The one below comes from this morning, caught on my phone at around 6.30 am.


At least this is a nice way to start the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment