Wednesday, January 14, 2015

It's the little things

I can definitely say that crochet is the common factor that links everything together in my world - messy, convoluted, wonderfully stitched together and full in almost equal part.

It's been a tough, grind it out and keep going year, but the highlights have been the threads...the crochet, the colour and the connections.  Crochet has been my 'I can do that' moment, my deep breath in times of complete blankness, and the fun retreat (building a stash has been worth it after all!) when it's gloomy.

I've been back studying after losing my job, so it's been a lean time - then there's been crochet.  I've been able to make bits and pieces for my new niece, along with successful competition items, blankets, bags, beanies and everything in between.  Crochet has had the starring role - no doubt of it!


And that looks set to continue in a calmer environment in 2015.  After literally 'seeing stars' in the lead up to Christmas, I've charged into granny stripes and hexagons, sorted out - as much as possible - the stash, and have a diary just for crochet projects?  Is that weird?  Well, it works for me.  I'm jotting down timetables, ideas, pattern choices and row counts for projects, have a roll of who gets what, including competition and donation items, and am taking action. I'm even starting to use Ravelry properly! Every project that gets started also has a photo taken with the ball band and crochet hook, and I'm checking in with my family members for preferred colours and patterns.

I'm very proud to say that my younger brother - who last received a crochet item from me when he was born in 1982 - has actually put his hand up for a blanket in his favourite sporting team colours, and even charted out the colours he wants, as well as the stitch pattern.  I have been waiting for the opportunity to crochet something for him for a long time!  Even my uncle has been the recipient of a few beanies, and my father proudly uses crocheted coasters and has his own granny stripe blanket for those migraine days.


So - here we go, 4 mm hook (I have four of them lined up, 'just in case') in hand, and project bags at the ready.  One granny stripe coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment